One of my favorite gadgets so far in 2015 is the Sony RX100 IV camera.
It’s getting a lot of praise from YouTubers, but is it the best YouTube camera? Let’s find out.
My full video review is above. Since Channel Empire is dedicated to YouTube success, this camera review is mainly focused on its video capabilities instead of its photography capabilities (even though it does take some awesome photos).
Sony RX100 IV Overview
The Sony RX100 IV is a nifty point-and-shoot camera that fits in your pocket, but yet it’s being called “the best YouTube camera” because the video quality is insanely good.
Yes, it belongs to the digital camera family (it’s not a DSLR) but it packs a plethora of power inside that small sexy frame.
Here are some of the main specs of this camera:
- 20.1 Megapixel 1" Exmor RS BSI CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- Internal UHD 4K Video & S-Log2 Gamma
- Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* f/1.8-2.8 Lens
- 24-70mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 2359k-Dot OLED Tru-Finder Pop-Up EVF
- 3" 1229k-Dot Multi-Angle LCD
- Slow Motion Video up to 960 fps
- Built-in Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
- ISO 12800 & 16 fps Continuous Shooting
Those were the geeky specifications but if you don't quite understand what most of those mean, worry not. Continue reading to find out how it performs in the real world.
Sony RX100 IV Pros & Cons
This camera isn't perfect, but it's dang good. Here are the things I love (and don't love) about it.
- Small, lightweight, fits in pocket
- High-quality videos & photos
- Records 4K video (4x more pixels than 1080p)
- Records slow-motion in camera
- FAST autofocus
- Articulating LCD screen for selfie mode
- High-res pop-up EVF
- Easy-to-use interface
- Built-in ND filters for bright situations
- Smooth & fast 24-70mm lens
- Great low-light performance
- 5-minute recording limit when recording 4K videos
- Overheats easily when recording back-to-back 4K videos
- Short battery life when recording 4K/sl0w-mo videos
- LCD screen always exposed, increasing chance of scratches
- No mic input or hot/cold shoe mount
- Expensive price tag
As you can see, the pros definitely outweigh the cons which is why I do ultimately recommend the Sony RX100 IV.
But is it right for you? Read the next section to find out.
Should You Buy a Sony RX100 IV?
This is the best question mark. Should you get it? Let's find out.
Answer yes or no to the following questions:
- Are you currently or going to be creating YouTube videos?
- Are you in need of a high-quality camera for videos?
- Are you afraid of the complexity of using a DSLR?
- Do you vlog or plan on vlogging?
- Do you need a smaller camera than a DSLR?
- Do you like simplicity when it comes to equipment?
If you answered Yes to at least 4 of those 6 questions, I think the Sony RX100 IV would be a good purchase for you.
But even if you just answered "yes" to question #4 I think it's a good investment if it fits within your current budget.
This camera is fantastic for vlogging. Check out a sample vlog I did using the Sony RX100 IV:
There you have it.
Is it perfect or the best camera overall? No.
Is it the best "point-and-shoot" pocket camera? In my opinion, yes as of right now.
Do I recommend it for video creators? Absolutely.
So, what's your go-to vlogging camera? Leave a comment below!